Unmatched Litigation and Trial Experience in Wildfire Cases
With over three decades and counting, Caine Law has unmatched litigation and trial experience in national wildfire cases. Shawn Caine has held Court Appointed leadership positions in some of the largest multi billion dollar cases in United States history. Shawn was also awarded the California Lawyer Attorneys of the Year (CLAY) award in 2021 for his work on the Woolsey and Thomas Fires, reaching $3.8 Billion in settlements.
Caine Law is the only firm involved in the recovery of over $30 Billion from the three largest utilities in California and has successfully tried powerline-started wildfire cases against the two largest Southern California utilities. Caine Law has also achieved some of the largest wildfire settlements in particular categories, including over $50,000,000 in forest claims and $33,000,000 in wrongful death claims.
Caine Law is actively litigating and negotiating over 20 wildfire cases throughout the United States. Shawn Caine has successfully resolved over 75 wilfdire cases on behalf of his clients.
- 2024 Negotiating significant settlements for hundreds of clients living in Happy Camp, CA, which town was destroyed in the 2020 state. Caine Law is also gearing up for trial of the Mountain View Fire, slated for the spring of 2024.
- 2023: Successfully resolved the 2021 Dixie and 2017 Starbuck Wildfire cases, the two largest wildfires in California, and Oklahoma/Kansas history respectively; During this time, Caine Law also settled the 2022 Mill Fire within 8 months of fire ignition, the shortest time period for resolution of a wildfire case.
- 2022: Successfully resolved serious wrongful death and other claims from the 2020 Zogg Wildfire against Pacific Gas & Electric Company, a wildfire that resulted in fatalities and significant property loss claims.
- 2021: $2.2 Billion Settlement from Southern California Edison Company for the 2018 Woolsey Fire.
- 2020: $25.5 Billion recovery from Pacific Gas and Electric Company for the 2017 North Bay and 2018 Camp Fires. The fire occurred only 4 months after Pacific Gas & Electric pled guilty to 84 manslaughter charges arising from the 2018 Camp Fire.
- $11 Billion recovered for insurers, resulting in the largest ever subrogation recovery in the United States.
- 2020: $1.6 Billion recovery from Southern California Edison Company for the 2017 Thomas Fire.
- 2016: Successfully resolved the 2011 Steiner Ranch Fire Litigation against the City of Austin, Texas.
- 2015: Successfully resolved the 2011 Bastrop Complex Fire, the most destructive fire in Texas history.
- 2009: $1.3 Billion recovery from San Diego Gas & Electric Company for the 2007 San Diego County Wildfires.
- 2009: Successfully resolved the 2002 Pines Fire action against the United States of America.
- 1997: Successfully tried the 1993 Winchester Fire against Southern California Edison Company.
- 1996: Successfully tried the 1993 Guejito Fire against San Diego Gas & Electric Company.
During 2022, 2023, and 2024 Caine Law has investigated and filed several lawsuits, including:
- 2023 Gray Road Fire: representing clients in Medicine Lake, Washington devastated by the fire resulting from electrical equipment owned and operated by Inland Power and Light Co.
- 2023 Lahaina Fire (Maui) started by Hawaii Electric Company, which destroyed Lahaina and caused massive tragedy and losses in Maui.
- 2023 Tunnel 5 Fire started in Skamania County Washington by the BNSF Railroad.
- 2023 Simpson Road Fire against Oklahoma Gas and Electric Company, a fire which wreaked havoc in Guthrie, Oklahoma.
- 2022 Coastal Fire against Southern California Edison Company.
- 2022 McBride Fire against New Mexico Public Power, another fire resulting in death claims.
- 2022 McKinney Fire against PacifiCorp located in Portland, Oregon, which fire was the second California fire started by PacificCorp resulting in fatalities.
- 2021 Marshall Fire against Xcel Energy in Denver Colorado, for causing the most destructive wildfire in Colorado history.
- 2020 Babb Road Fire against Spokane-based utility Avista for starting a wildfire that destroyed the town of Malden, Washington.
At the end of 2021, Caine Law also filed the 2021 Uri “Winter Freeze” lawsuit against over 200 power generation companies and related entities in Texas, for causing the statewide electrical grid failure in February 2021 that caused Billions of dollars in damages and multiple fatalities. This case is one of the largest tort claims in the nation, if not the largest.
In April 2022, Shawn was appointed as Co-Liaison Counsel in the litigation concerning the devastating 2017 Creek Fire which was started by powerlines owned and operated by Southern California Edison Company. This case is going to trial in late 2024.
Caine Law also represents several farming and cattle ranching operations throughout the Southwest, and has negotiated and litigated high stakes business and real estate transactions for many clients in California. In late 2023, Caine Law orchestrated and concluded one of the largest ranching and farming restructure transactions in the nation.
Dedicated to Clients
Caine Law is dedicated to our clients. We demonstrate this commitment through reliable communication and exceptional services. Our Law Firm provides legal services on a more personal, responsive, and cost-effective caliber than larger law firms. This dedication is exemplified by Shawn’s long-term clients, many of whom have been with Shawn for over thirty five years.
We pursue cases with experience, insight, balance, and an expectation of positive results. Our clients respond in kind with trust, confidence, and respect, knowing that more than anything we desire to help them achieve their personal and business goals. This is achieved through effective counsel, sound and proven strategies, and extraordinary legal services.
“Shawn was great and is one skilled lawyer. The Starbuck fire devastated our ranch and cattle, and severely impacted our friends and community. Shawn was professional, provided sound advice, and did it with integrity.”
-Mark Gardiner. Gardiner Angus Ranch. Starbuck Fire.
“Shawn and Chris pursued an incredibly complicated wildfire case and were able to help my mom, neighbors and I recover great compensation. They demonstrated strength, leadership and talent in getting the difficult case favorably resolved”.
-Lon Paul. Mountain Fire
“It was a pleasure to align with Shawn and watch him work the investigation and discovery for a great outcome. He is an incredibly skilled and thoughtful advocate – a true professional”.
-Adam Green, Grangeville Idaho City Attorney. Sheep Fire.
“Shawn is a terrific and aggressive trial lawyer. Western Growers Association is honored to be affiliated with him and have him help the various farmers and growers throughout California in their legal needs. We’ve worked with him for decades, and many of his clients go back to the beginning of his legal career – that says volumes”.
-Jason Resnick, General Counsel, Western Growers Association
“The 1993 Guejito fire destroyed all of my animals and birds – It left me devastated and without my family. Shawn was right there to help me and showed great compassion and commitment in a time of need. He led the fight through trial against SDG&E for starting one of the most destructive wildfires in San Diego. Through his efforts, I was able to recover substantial compensation and begin rebuilding my life”.
-Paul Colo. Guejito Fire – Colo v. San Diego Gas and Electric (Lead Case)
“Shawn Caine is an effective and skilled negotiator who was ready and willing to back his demands up through trial. He achieved an incredible result for our company and family.”
– Shasta Forest Timberlands, Dixie Fire