Unmatched Litigation and Trial Experience in Wildfire Cases
With over three decades and counting, Caine Law has unmatched litigation and trial experience in national wildfire cases. Shawn Caine has held Court Appointed leadership positions in some of the largest cases in United States History. Shawn was also awarded the California Lawyer Attorneys of the Year (CLAY) award in 2021 for his work on the Woolsey and Thomas fires, reaching $3.8 Billion in settlements.
Caine Law is the only firm involved in the recovery of over $30 Billion from the three largest utilities in California and has successfully tried powerline-started wildfire cases against the two largest Southern California utilities.
- 2021: $2.2 Billion Settlement from Southern California Edison Company for the 2018 Woolsey Fire.
- 2020: $25.5 Billion Recovery from Pacific Gas and Electric Company for the 2017 North Bay and 2018 Camp Fires.
- $11 Billion recovered for insurers, resulting in the largest ever subrogation recovery in the United States.
- 2020: $1.6 Billion Recovery from Southern California Edison Company for the 2017 Thomas Fire.
- 2016: Successfully resolved the 2011 Steiner Ranch Fire Litigation against the City of Austin, Texas.
- 2015: Successfully resolved the 2011 Bastrop Complex Fire, the most destructive fire in Texas history.
- 2009: $1.1 Billion Recovery from San Diego Gas & Electric Company for the 2007 San Diego County Wildfires.
- 2009: Successfully resolved the 2002 Pines Fire Action against the United States of America.
- 1997: Successfully tried the 1993 Winchester Fire against Southern California Edison Company.
- 1996: Successfully tried the 1993 Guejito Fire against San Diego Gas & Electric Company.
In 2022, Caine Law has investigated and filed several lawsuits, including:
- 2020 Babb Road Fire against Seattle-based utility Avista which involved the destruction of nearly all homes and city buildings in Malden, Washington.
- 2021 Dixie Fire against Pacific Gas and Electric Company, the largest wildfire in California History.
- 2021 Marshall Fire against Excel Energy, the largest wildfire in Colorado history.
- 2022 Coastal Fire Against Southern California Edison in Laguna Beach, California.
- 2022 McBride Fire in Ruidoso, New Mexico.
- 2022 deadly McKinney Fire against the Oregon based Pacific Power, for starting their second wildfire in less than two years in Siskiyou County.
At the end of 2021, Caine Law also filed the 2021 Uri “Winter Freeze” lawsuit against 36 power generation companies and related entities in Texas, for causing the statewide electrical grid failure in February 2021 that caused Billions of dollars in damages and multiple fatalities.
In April 2022, Shawn was appointed as Co-Liaison Counsel in the litigation concerning the devastating 2017 Creek Fire which was started by powerlines owned and operated by Southern California Edison Company. Back in May 2021, Shawn was appointed Co-Liaison Counsel for the 2019 Kincade Fire which was started by powerlines owned and operated by Pacific Gas and Electric Company and resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars in damages.
Caine Law is actively litigating and investigating over 25 wildfire cases throughout the United States, including the largest wildfire in Kansas history. Shawn Caine has successfully resolved over 60 wildfire cases on behalf of his clients, including more than $40 Million in wrongful death recoveries. Caine Law is also currently investigating multiple other 2022 wildfires throughout the country.
Shawn Caine has represented several farming and cattle ranching operations throughout the Southwest, and has also negotiated and litigated high stakes business and real estate transactions for many clients in California.
Dedicated to Clients
Caine Law is dedicated to our clients. We demonstrate this commitment through reliable communication and exceptional services. Our Law Firm provides legal services on a more personal, responsive, and cost-effective caliber than larger law firms. This dedication is exemplified by Shawn’s long-term clients, many of whom have been with Shawn since 1988.
We pursue cases with experience, insight, balance, and an expectation of positive results. Our clients respond in kind with trust, confidence, and respect, knowing that more than anything we desire to help them achieve their personal and business goals. This is achieved through effective counsel, sound and proven strategies, and extraordinary legal services.
“The 1993 Guejito fire destroyed all of my animals and birds – It left me devastated and without my family. Shawn was right there to help me and showed great compassion and commitment in a time of need. He led the fight through trial against SDG&E for starting one of the most destructive wildfires in San Diego. Through his efforts, I was able to recover substantial compensation and begin rebuilding my life”.
-Paul Colo. Guejito Fire – Colo v. San Diego Gas and Electric (Lead Case)
“Shawn and Chris pursued an incredibly complicated wildfire case and were able to help my mom, neighbors and I recover great compensation. They demonstrated strength, leadership and talent in getting the difficult case favorably resolved”.
-Lon Paul. Mountain Fire
“It was a pleasure to align with Shawn and watch him work the investigation and discovery for a great outcome. He is an incredibly skilled and thoughtful advocate – a true professional”.
-Adam Green, Grangeville Idaho City Attorney. Sheep Fire.
“Shawn is a terrific and aggressive lawyer. Western Growers Association is honored to be affiliated with him and have him help the various farmers and growers throughout California in their legal needs. We’ve worked with him for decades, and many of his clients go back to the beginning of his legal career – that says volumes”.
-Jason Resnick, General Counsel, Western Growers Association